We have a new name, a new website, and a new Long Island address. But everything else is the same. Academic-Therapeutic Options is now NEXT STEPS: STEPHEN MIGDEN & ASSOCIATES. And we’ve moved our Long Island office from Roslyn Heights to Plainview. Everything else is the same: the same highly qualified, highly professional team, led by Dr. Steve Migden. And the same address for our NYC office, at 303 Fifth Avenue.
Next Steps: Stephen Migden & Associates, LLC
Providing high quality, individualized educational and therapeutic placement consultation to children, adolescents, young adults and their families
We help the families of young people with a wide range of issues, including:
- Psychiatric, Emotional or Behavioral Problems
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Learning Differences and Learning Disabilities
- Substance Abuse
- Failure to Launch in Late Adolescents and Young Adults
- Simply Unhappy or Under-Performing in the Current School Environment
- In Need of Lifelong Residential Services and Housing
- Individuals with Developmental Disabilities
- Individuals with Chronic and Severe Mental Illness
Because of our extensive experience with individuals of all ages, and our wide-ranging knowledge of placement options, we can help you find, access and successfully utilize many types of educational and therapeutic placements, including:
- Boarding Schools
- Learning Disabilities Schools and Programs
- Therapeutic Boarding Schools
- Residential Treatment Centers
- Therapeutic Wilderness Programs
- Comprehensive Evaluation Programs
- National Psychiatric Hospitals
- Substance Abuse Treatment Programs
- Independent Day Schools for Students with Learning, Developmental or Emotional-Behavioral Problems
- Small, Supportive Mainstream Boarding Schools for Students who are Struggling in their Home Schools
- Post-High School and Young Adult Programs for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities, Including Autism and Intellectual Disability
- Post-High School and Young Adult Programs for Individuals with Behavioral, Emotional Problems and Psychiatric Problems
- College Support Programs for Students with a Variety of Problems, Including LD/ADHD, and Behavioral and Emotional Problems
- Lifelong Residential and Housing Programs for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities
- Lifelong Residential and Housing Programs for Individuals with Chronic and Severe Mental Illness
What We Do
Next Steps: Stephen Migden & Associates provides high quality, individualized placement consultation to children, adolescents and young adults with a variety of special needs, including: emotional-behavioral problems, psychiatric disorders, substance abuse, failure to launch, autistic spectrum disorders, ADHD and learning differences.
Who We Are
Next Steps: Stephen Migden & Associates, is led by Dr. Steve Migden, Ph.D., CEP. Dr. Sherry Henig, Ph.D., CEP and Jeff Dvorak, our two senior independent associates, contribute decades of additional experience and expertise, and Candace Bynum provides administrative support. Please see the About Us page to learn more about this highly qualified team of professionals.
The Process of Educational Consultation & Therapeutic Placement
With Stephen Migden & Associates, placement consultation is a dynamic, interactive process that focuses on your family member and his or her special needs. The goal is to find the educational or therapeutic setting that can best help your loved one achieve full potential, both academic and social/emotional. We do not make an out-of-home placement until we are assured that appropriate local resources have been tried and exhausted.
The primary obligation of Steve Migden and his small team of associates is to accurately and supportively represent each client, based on a careful review of the total situation. We do not solicit or accept compensation from any school, college or therapeutic program for a placement or referral.
Of course, even the highest quality placement consultation cannot guarantee either admission or success in a particular setting. However, because we remain involved throughout the placement and post-placement process, the chances of finding an appropriate match for your family member are greatly increased. Once a placement has been arranged, our team maintains contact with the new school or program. We have more than 100 years of combined experience, and we use this experience, as well as our diligence and focus, to help insure a successful adjustment and a positive outcome.